Combining healthcare experience with underwriting expertise to deliver tailored solutions.
- Professional & general liability insurance and reinsurance for healthcare institutions
- Clients ranging from small nursing homes and allied health providers to world-renowned universities and international healthcare groups
- Worldwide appetite with a particular focus on the United States, Europe and Canada
Why work with us
Our close relationships with our clients and their brokers are underpinned by our depth of knowledge in the casualty classes we offer, the quality of our contract execution and our commitment to providing innovative products that deliver when needed.
Our product lines
We provide professional and general liability coverage either as insurance, or as facultative reinsurance, through open market placements, line slips, or by issuing binding authorities.
Acting in both lead and following roles, writing primary and/or excess layers, we work with:
Large well-established health systems in the US. These include:
- Regional, specialist and community hospital systems, including several children’s hospitals;
- Physician groups both inside and outside of the US;
- Long-term care nursing homes and multi-state skilled nursing providers, through to single location assisted and independent living facilities; and
- Allied health providers from; worldwide nurse staffing agencies, to single state radiology service providers.
Small hospital products
We have created two packaged insurance products specifically designed to meet the needs of small community hospitals and critical access hospitals. Whilst designed as easy-to-buy packages, both products also offer the flexibility to meet individual requirements.
Brokers can find us at Lloyd's: Box 250B.
For more information about healthcare liability insurance from Barbican, contact:
Ondine joined Barbican in March 2011 and is head of insurance, overseeing Syndicate 1955's insurance lines.
When she joined Barbican, she was originally responsible for US Casualty treaty. Over time, her responsibilities expanded to include International Casualty treaty, Healthcare and A&H insurance and more recently she moved solely to insurance lines.
Prior to joining the company, she was at Faraday Syndicate 435 where she wrote a lead book of US casualty reinsurance and hospital business.
Ondine brings over twenty years extensive experience of underwriting to Barbican after graduating with an MSc in insurance and risk management at CASS Business School.
James joined Barbican in 2018 and is now head of healthcare.
Prior to joining Barbican, James was a senior healthcare underwriter and vice president at Swiss Re, having joined the firm in 2011. Prior to that, he worked at Chaucer Syndicates in the institutional healthcare liability team.
Barrett is FCII and CPCU qualified.
Amy joined Barbican in November 2012 and is assistant underwriter for healthcare.
Prior to joining Barbican, Amy worked for insurance auditing firm GPA Consulting.
Amy is Cert CII qualified.
Barbican at the Box
BOX 250B T: +44 (0) 20 7327 8292/8212